Sunday, September 13, 2009

It Still Fits!

Mom, it still fits!



You know the conversation... you're cleaning out closets and drawers in a mad frenzy to clear space for next year's school clothes. Each item that you stuff in the bag gets dragged out with a mournful wail, "But, mo-o-o-o-om, it still f-i-i-i-ts!"



I've found a couple of solutions, though. He/she whines in the background like a 15 year old washer on high spin. This gives me time to think (HA!)...



1. LOGIC: "ok, fine, put all the things that fit in THAT pile, and you can try them on once we've finished." Usually, this results in a garment being torn at the seams, and more wailing. But, I am successful in getting him/her to realize that 'their old clothes shrunk' (blame it on the clothes, not the kid's growth spurt).



2. DECEPTION "This bag that I'm stuffing? This bag is stuff that I'm saving for next summer/ winter. " Then, after they're asleep, the bag goes in the trunk, and on to the Goodwill



3. ALTRUISM "These clothes are for some poor little boy/girl who only has an old pillowcase to wear to school. If you share some of your clothes, then there will be another kid out there with something to wear besides a pillowcase (ok, so there's a little deception).



4. GUILT "I'm only getting rid of the clothes that you don't put away. If you would put them away, I wouldn't have to give them away.



5. WANTON INDULGENCE "Once we clear these drawers, then we can fill them with brand new clothes! I'll go get my Mastercard" (I have never done this, but, hey, give it a try and let me know how it works!)

No comments:

Post a Comment